Spring 2018 – Support Group Meetings
- LONDON – Saturday, April 14, 2018 from 1:30pm to 3:30pm (Downtown) *NEW Location!!!
- TORONTO – Saturday, April 21, 2018 from 1:30pm to 3:30pm (North York) *NEW Location!!!
Summer 2018 – Family Picnic
- LONDON – Saturday, June 16, 2018 from 11am to 3pm (Springbank Park)
Fall 2018 – Support Group Meetings
- TORONTO – Saturday, October 13, 2018 from 1:30pm to 3:30pm (North York)
- LONDON – Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 1:30pm to 3:30pm (Downtown)
For details/RSVP, please join our mailing list:
About 6-8 weeks ahead of the meetings, I’ll begin raising awareness via the e-mail lists. Look forward to seeing you there!!!
- “This was my first meeting and I was nervous. It was so much more than I bargained for! I was hoping to network and meet other single moms by choice and I did that. Thank you for [conducting the discussion circles] by ‘family’. Amazing time. Looking forward to October and building these new relationships.”
- “Really, really useful session. Thanks for carrying this on.”
- “Great Resource. Thanks for hosting this.”
About our Meetings
Support Group Meetings are held each Spring and Fall in both Toronto and London, Canada. Each meeting centers on peers sharing experiences and learning from each other. One meeting each year usually highlights a guest speaker from the medical, policy, or social work fields addressing latest insights into rearing donor-conceived children. These sessions are geared toward adult attendees and so no child-care is provided. Meeting attendance is free of charge. Please feel free to bring a cash donation for the donation box to meet meeting expenses.
The Summer Picnic is held each June in London. Families experiencing donor conception are encouraged to attend as a family. The kids enjoy playing games and the adults enjoy casual relax time with the kids and each other. Bring your own refreshments. Some games are usually provided. Meeting attendance is free of charge. Please feel free to bring a cash donation for the donation box to help cover expenses.
Attendees at SODCSN Support Meetings…
- Support one another by giving the time and effort to listen to each other’s experiences regarding donor conception. We attempt to understand what each person has encountered and what they have been feeling.
- Help one another explore in a little greater depth the way we have each approached the personal and familial impacts of Donor Conception and what aspects of ourselves we wish to develop or change in our approach.
As a group dedicated to supporting each other, we value:
- Self-discovery – make a constant effort to pause and search out your inner feelings in relation to whatever is the focus of attention at a particular time, speak caringly but openly about this.
- Self-disclosure – be open about your genuine feelings and thoughts and make the effort to disclose these.
- Listening – make the effort to listen carefully to others in the meeting. Seek to discover what exactly they are experiencing rather than being preoccupied with an immediate reply or giving advice.
- Support – when other members talk about personal issue and feelings, give them complete support, full attention and plenty of time.
- Confidentiality – respect one another by keeping the content of the meetings and the personal details of attendees in confidence.
Much of the language above is adapted from Leading a Support Group: A Practical Guide by Nichols and Jenkinson (Open University Press).